ADVERTISEMENT

#ProToppers Watch: MLB Draft Live Thread

Jun 6, 2015
It's draft day!

Okay, so the MLB draft isn't nearly as exciting as the NFL or NBA draft - with so many rounds (I repeat - so. many. rounds.), so many levels many guys have to pass through to one day maybe have an at-bat in the big leagues, and did I mention all the rounds the draft has? Because there are a lot of them - it can still be fun. Baseball is one of the few sports that a school like WKU can have some instant national notoriety - schools like Louisiana Lafayette (who as two wins away from a College World Series appearance this year), Rice, FAU, etc. have had success and all spent time in the Top 25 this year.

One guy who's name you are going to hear called is Anderson Miller - the question is "when?" Everything I've heard is no lower than the 5th round (which is the equivalent of a late 2nd or early 3rd rounder in the NFL draft), which would be pretty awesome - he can play center field as well as pitch, and by the sound of it, a lot of teams are interested in the pitching arm of Miller.

What about guys like Ryan Church? Cody Wofford? Austin King? Anyone else you can think of that I haven't mentioned?

Keep it here today for all your MLB draft news and thoughts regarding former Toppers, and who knows, maybe we'll see some more #ProToppers added to our ranks before the day ends.

But, before the draft begins (which is tonight at 7, by the way), does anyone have any predictions or thoughts heading into the draft as to where Miller, or anyone else, could go?

SBNation's Minor League Ball lists Miller as a "Name of Note" when scouting the collegiate outfield draft class. He isn't listed in the pitching names to watch, so Minor League Ball likes the potential of Miller as a position player.

The always awesome Zach Greenwell from the BG Daily News has this little preview and summary on Miller, recapping his stats and some quotes from former WKU skipper Matt Myers.

Cornelius Randolph just went to the Phillies with the 10th overall pick. Went to the same high school (Griffin HS) as Bobby Rainey.

Welp, Anderson Miller wont be the first Lexington native to get drafted. Vandy's Walker Buehler gets taken by the Dodgers at 24 overall.

Bryce Denton from Ravenwood HS (Brentwood, TN) just taken by the Cardinals in the 2nd round. It's close to WKU? I'm just trying to keep myself interested at this point. No Miller yet, but again, that's not surprising. Lets see if he goes around the 65-75 area.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily surprised he hasn't been called today. If he doesn't go by the end of tomorrow, I'll be shocked

Tanner Rainey just went to Cincinnati in pick #71. He sounds a lot like Anderson Miller - was selected as a pitcher but set a school record at West Alabama in HR. How this many DII athletes have gone before Miller though...but any way, Rainey sounds like the most-like Miller we'll find until, you know Miller.

As we've said a few times tonight, it shouldn't come as a surprise, but no Anderson Miller in the first or second round of the MLB Draft. We'll have updates and thoughts tomorrow, where Miller should be taken by...someone.

Philip Diedrick was also selected in the 29th round by the Washington Nationals with the #884 draft pick

ADVERTISEMENT