ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball WKU names Robert Guster as new assistant coach

drew_toennies

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2021
WKU head coach Steve Lutz and company added a new assistant coach to the 2023-24 staff, announcing the hiring of Texas State assistant coach Robert Guster.

Guster will be joining the Hilltoppers' coaching staff after coaching the Bobcats for seven seasons. Before that, Guster coached UTSA for 10 seasons as an assistant.

"I am extremely excited to welcome Robert and his family to The Hill," Lutz said. "I have been fortunate to know and observe Robert over the last 20-plus years. He is a great family man, mentor to young people and has a great basketball mind. I know that he will hit the ground running from day one and help impact winning daily."

During his time at Texas State, Guster put together one of the strongest defenses in the country, leading the Sun Belt in scoring defense for five out of his seven seasons with the Bobcats. Guster additionally helped place Texas State on the map, landing them in the top-30 in the country three times.

The Bobcats also led the Sun Belt in rebounds per game during the 2018-19 campaign and field goal percentage in the 2021-22 stint. Guster also assisted in coaching the 2019-20 Sun Belt Player of the Year.

"I am extremely excited to join the Hilltopper family," Guster said. "To be a part of a program with such rich tradition is a blessing for me and my family. I admire and respect Coach Lutz and feel honored to join the Hilltopper family. He is an absolute winner. I will work diligently to support the WKU family, community and athletes to make certain we build a culture of character, hard work and academic achievement."

During his 10 seasons with the Roadrunners, Guster helped lead UTSA to the school's first NCAA postseason win in any sport, helped the team to claim a league championship and made two conference tournament title game appearances.

Guster additionally helped UTSA to break 20 school records, including eight players earning all-conference honors. Three were also named the league freshman of the year.

Before UTSA, Guster worked as an assistant coach for Southeast Missouri State, making significant contributions to the Redhawks' recruiting efforts as well as academic affairs.

Guster began coaching at West Plains Community College, working as an assistant coach for five years. Guster helped West Plains reach a 120-36 record and helped 10 of the players he recruited pick up opportunities at the D1 level.

ADVERTISEMENT