ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights/Analysis: WKU LB commit Juwuan Jones in action, plus news, notes, etc.

RivalsWoody

Hilltopper Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2012
Here's my game report from Friday night's game between Lanier and South Gwinnett in the Atlanta area. As usual I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Class of 2017 three-star Lanier linebacker Juwuan Jones had a pretty good game, pretty much matching Taylor when it came to making tackles. The Western Kentucky commit has good instincts and is a hard-hitter and is another guy I’m surprised slipped away from Power Five schools. Jones elected to commit prior to the season to lock in his spot in case anything happened and now he looks like a major steal for the Hilltoppers. Here are some highlights of him in action.

Lanier has a 2018 center, Collin Foster, who held up pretty well against Cooper. Foster is listed at 6-foot-3, 260 pounds and obviously did a nice job of standing his ground while giving up about 100 pounds and some leverage to Cooper. Foster likely won’t be a high Power Five guy but I think he can be an FBS player down the road.

Class of 2017 two-star Lanier defensive back C.J. Burress, who is committed to Kent State, had a pretty decent came out at corner and came up to make some tackles against the run. He didn’t see many balls come his way in the passing game but showed a willingness to hit despite his slight frame. Here’s a few clips of him in action.

Class of 2017 two-star Lanier offensive tackle Jake Smith didn’t make the trip after suffering a concussion in Week 1. Smith has offers from Memphis, Arkansas State and a few others and is a guy that I think can blossom at the next level, especially in the right strength and conditioning program.

The headliner of the evening was Class of 2018 Rivals100 South Gwinnett defensive end Justin Mascoll. This is a guy that a lot of people have ranked as a five-star, but I continue to take a slower approach, especially considering how raw he is as a prospect. I think he compares to guys like Lorenzo Carter and Robert Beal and the question is whether or not he’s a defensive end or a linebacker. I personally see him ending up as a hybrid-type player, but right now I think he’s more effective when he comes off the edge standing up. After the game he told me Ohio State and Georgia continue to show him the most attention, but he also seems like he’s not a guy who has really spent that much time delving into the recruiting process yet. I anticipate him being a tough guy to read going forward and I think we’re a ways away from anytime of clear-cut vision of where he’s headed. Here are some highlights/analysis from the game.

Class of 2017 Rivals250 Lanier linebacker Tyler Taylor had a pretty good game in terms of statistics, racking up a lot of tackles and generally being involved in the action. He had a few big hits and on those places he showed good anticipation, but he also find himself reacted to plays and making tackles after sizeable gains. If Taylor is going to stay as a middle linebacker at the next level he’s going to be tasking with reading and diagnosing on a more regular basis. In terms of his recruitment, I think Auburn remains the school to beat, with Oklahoma and Georgia also factoring in. I spoke with his mom during the game and she said they’re not close to a decision, but his visit patterns will be something to keep a close eye on. Here’s some video/analysis of him in action from the game.

Class of 2018 Rivals250 defensive tackle Robert Cooper had his share of moments in the game, not only eating up space in the middle but also getting into the backfield to make a few plays. The Florida State commit still weighs in the 355-365 range, but moves remarkably well for a guy his size. Many programs in the SEC are high on Cooper, but he told me after the game he’s 100 percent Seminole. One school who doesn’t appear to have serious interest right now in Cooper is Georgia, but I expect that to change, especially if he keeps playing well and can shed some more weight. Here are some highlights/analysis from the game.

Probably the most surprising player of the evening was Class of 2018 Lanier defensive tackle Devon Martin. I came into the night without the 6-foot-5, 250-pounder’s name on my list, but left very impressed with his play. He’s taking the spot of Derrick Brown so obviously he has some big shoes to fill, but I think it might not take very long for schools to catch wind of Martin and his play. He looks a little thicker than 250 pounds to me and he plays with good leverage and showed a good motor as well. At this time last year both Allen and Taylor had no offers and I think Martin could be the next big name to come out of the school. Here are some clips of him in action.

Class of 2017 four-star Lanier defensive end Michael Allen missed the game as he continues to rehab from a stress fracture in his foot. Allen, who is committed to Wake Forest, saw his recruitment slow to almost a crawl after schools were concerned about the injury. Allen seems locked in with the Demon Deacons, who were loyal to him throughout the injury crisis, but I would be surprised if he comes back and plays well and doesn’t see other programs come in and try to make a run at him.

Class of 2018 three-star South Gwinnett defensive end Abi Okonji is a guy who mad a few plays, including a tackle for loss. He drew the attention of several schools on the satellite camp circuit this summer, and according to him Wake Forest has been the main program keeping in touch with him since. He’s listed at 6-foot-3, 240 pounds but I’m not he’s that big at this point. Playing with Cooper and Mascoll should get him plenty of attention and I see him eventually landing at Power Five school.

One player who is under the radar at the moment but will likely be a name that recruiting followers get to know is Class of 2019 Lanier linebacker Kameron Brown. While just a sophomore, Brown is the younger brother of Class of 2016 Auburn signee and former five-star Derrick Brown. He’s listed at 6-feet tall and 225 pounds and depending on how he grows I could see him staying at linebacker or perhaps moving to defensive line like his brother. Either way he made a ton of plays and for a player as young as he is to be contributing already is a good sign for his future. Here’s some highlights/analysis of him in action.

Class of 2018 South Gwinnett athlete Terrell Smith had a pretty good game, highlighted by a long punt return for a touchdown. I think at this point in his career Smith isn’t sure what his college position will be and he played both wide receiver and defensive back in the game. He has a few carries on jet sweep type plays that didn’t really go for a whole lot of yardage and also recorded a stop or two on defense. Right now Kentucky appears to be the early team to beat in his recruitment.

I was really impressed with Class of 2017 South Gwinnett linebacker Malik Robinson. The three-star prospect was all over the field, notching tackle after tackle and helping his team pitch a shutout. He’s undersized and might end up as a safety or a “star” type player at the next level, but he has a nose for the ball and a willingness to throw his body around that you can’t teach. Here’s some video/analysis of him in action.

ADVERTISEMENT