ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Monday April 4th Notes

Dec 31, 2012
Went and caught my first spring practice of the season today. Here are just a few things that I noticed:

-Everyone in their right mind expects a drop off in production at the QB position this season after losing Brandon Doughty. I don't think a lot of people realize how truly hard it is to replace a QB the caliber of Doughty. He is a once in a generation type of College QB from a production standpoint. With that said the QB battle is still very much up in the air. All 4 QB's vying for the starting position made some good plays today....all 4 also made some bad plays.

-The defense is still very much ahead of the offense at this point. Not sure whether or not that means that WKU may have a better defense this season then the previous few years, or if the offense just isn't going to be as potent. My guess is the latter. However, it is still very early in spring ball. Too early to make any definite predictions. Defenses are generally ahead of offenses at this point.

-Not sure if there is another future great tight end in this crop at WKU. Doyle, Henry, and Higbee leave pretty large shoes to fill. Shaq Johnson (a former WR converted to TE) appears to be the best in the receiving category. Though he still has a lot to do on the blocking side of things.

other notes:

-The offense and defense went at each other in some situational drills the last 45 minutes or so of practice today. With the defense winning most of those battles. Safety Marcus Ward and TJ McCollum seem to be a much more vocal leaders of the defense this season. Telling younger players where to be around the field.

-Redshirt Freshman RB Marquez Trigg broke open a 50+ yard run against the defense right after coach Jeff Brohm yelled out that the next play would be full tackle. Trigg was brought down inside the 10 yard line. However, he showed a great burst of speed and some separation ability before be chased down from behind.

Reactions: Sean_Williams
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News