ADVERTISEMENT

Todd Stewart goes in-depth on WKU's coaching search

drew_toennies

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2021
Western Kentucky athletic director Todd Stewart met with members of the media on Saturday afternoon to discuss Rick Stansbury's resignation from the Hilltoppers' basketball program and the search for a new head coach.

To kick things off, Stewart took a few moments to thank Stansbury for all he's done for the Hilltoppers during his career on The Hill.

"I would just like to start by thanking Rick Stansbury for his tremendous devotion and dedication to WKU Basketball and his many contributions," Stewart said. "Obviously, this past season was a disappointment for everyone in our program, and not what any of us had hoped it would be."

Stewart revealed that from Stansbury's standpoint, it was best for him to step down as head coach. Stewart continued by saying that Stansbury still brought a mountain of success to Bowling Green and increased the amount of impressive wins against P5 opponents during his career.

"From the moment he landed in Bowling Green on March 27, 2016, Rick gave everything he had to this program," Stewart said. "He was a tireless recruiter and a terrific ambassador for our program."

With Stansbury's exit from the program, Stewart said there are several factors that the Hilltoppers will be looking for in their search for a new head coach.

"There's a lot of factors that are important," Stewart said. "Certainly, in no particular order, we need somebody who can recruit, somebody who's good with player development, somebody who emphasizes academics, someone who's good in the community and obviously someone who wins. This is a competitive business and it's about winning."

Stewart added that winning experience will also be a huge determinor in who gets the head coaching job.

"It needs to be somebody who's a winner," Stewart said. "And then certainly the NCAA Tournament drought. That's a big frustration for everybody, it's the most important thing. And it's been too long for this program since we've last been to one."

When asked if there was any sort of timetable for when Western Kentucky wants to have found their head coach, Stewart revealed they will look for as long as it takes to find the perfect candidate to lead the Hilltoppers in the 2023-24 campaign.

"It sounds like a cliche, but as long as it takes to get the right person," Stewart said. "I don't really want to put a time period on it in terms of days or weeks or anything like that. I don't think it will be weeks plural, but it will be more than a day."

Stewart said there is still uncertainty on if he or someone else will be conducting the search for the next head coach. Stewart said that one of the things they will definitely be considering in their search is head coaching experience and winning head coaching experience.

Stewart said that since the news broke, his phone has been buzzing all day. While there were several notable names floating around social media, Stewart was unable to confirm or deny the rumors.

"I think the key thing really is just the ability to be good in the areas I mentioned before. Recruiting, player development, academics, community impact and obviously that's what's important," Stewart said. "We'll begin with the thorough vetting process right now and I think very quickly come up with a short list and start talking to those candidates."

ADVERTISEMENT