ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend Fall Camp Notes

svw311

Feix Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2012
Been a real busy weekend for me squeezing in other things along with WKU Media Day and the first two practices, so I decided to combine this weekend's practice notes into one thread. Just jerseys and helmets through the first two practice sessions. Here we go:

Pass catching was a little rusty during Saturday's practice, lots of dropped balls throughout. Things were slightly better in that department on Sunday, still some drops, but better.

The secondary has been impressive this weekend, very active, always around the ball, getting their fair share of pass break-ups. Senior Cam Thomas is back to his usual form after spending the spring rehabbing from surgery, and it also seems the intensity in the secondary has picked up a notch with him on the field.

While receivers were struggling a bit with drops this weekend, there is a freshman I noticed that has a good set of hands and that is Ballard product Will Bush. I didn't see him drop a pass today and he also made a couple of nice body-adjustment catches that were impressive.

Quarterbacks are plentiful on the practice field, with six total. Doughty is as sharp as he was in the spring and not much has changed behind him either in Fishback. Drew Eckels and Alabama transfer Parker McLeod are the new guys of the group, both have good ability as throwers. McLeod's footwork is polished, but that's to be expected with college experience under his belt. Both appear to be good fits for the Hilltoppers in the future.

Freshman running back D'Andre Ferby could definitely make his way into the running back rotation as fall practice rolls along, big, athletic, and fast in the open field (not as fast as Allen though). He also has good hands as well catching the ball out of the backfield.

Special teams returners were getting a workout in concentration, going through drills where they attempted to catch a football while carrying another football and tossing it up in the air as they caught the ball that was punted, essentially catching two footballs at relatively the same time. Sound confusing? Yeah, that's why it was a concentration/coordination drill.

Other freshmen that look the part so far this fall are DeAndre Farris at WR, Joel Iyiegbuniwe at LB, Martavius Mims at CB.

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News